Here’s a hands-on orgasm study we like! Sex researcher Dr. Nicole Prause, founder of sexual biotechnology firm Liberos, conducted a a study comparing the use of the “Happy Rabbit” vibrator versus “manual masturbation” or “talking to the hand.”
Dr. Prause says, “Our original hypothesis was that the Happy Rabbit would bring women bring women to orgasm quicker than manual masturbation. However, we found that women wanted to play with their new toy, which resulted in a longer lasting sexual experience with broader physical sensations and more excitement than using their hand alone.” The study found that excitement levels and lengths of orgasm increased 17%.
Dr. Prause measured what happens physically and mentally as a woman approached orgasm, and how that differed when using the new Happy Rabbit. Under lab instruction, each woman underwent two randomized test sessions — one using manual masturbation and the other using the Happy Rabbit.
Using post Masters & Johnson-like orgasm measuring lab devices, along with questionnaires, Dr. Prause analyzed anal contractions, galvanic skin response, electroencephalography (brain activity) and emotional states before, during and after testing. Testing showed that “most women take more time to reach orgasm when using the Happy Rabbit as they explored the toy’s patterns and rhythms.” The results seem to imply that the longer you play with your lady business, the longer your orgasms will be.
The study also reported:
- Women took an average of 26.4 minutes to achieve orgasm when using the Happy Rabbit, compared to manual masturbation, which took an average of 6.5 minutes.
- Orgasms were reported, on average, 17% longer when using the Happy Rabbit compared to manual masturbation.
- Alpha brainwave levels increased sooner when using the Happy Rabbit, which suggests achieving an orgasmic state using the Happy Rabbit doesn’t require as much effort as using your hand alone.
- Emotional reporting suggests subjects felt more excited from start to finish of testing when using the Happy Rabbit compared to the hand based session.
Of the subjects tested:
- Average age was 31 (Important to note that subjects were all sexually active and very familiar with their bodies).
- 54% are of color.
- 65% claim to be heterosexual.
- 47% have a “main” romantic partner.
- Intercourse partners average 28 people in a lifetime.
The new Happy Rabbit, in six new versions, will go for $89.99 – $119.99
We look forward to more “sex on the brain” studies by Dr. Prause, including an upcoming study on the effect that “orgasmic meditation” has on the brain.
Photo of sex researcher Dr. Nicole Prause courtesy of Lovehoney.